This massive building, dating back to 1551-53, is the work of Galeazzo Alessi and once formed part of the 16th-century walls. Its name derives from "cibaria" (foodstuffs), for it was through this gate that the city's produce passed, both on arrival from the sea and departure towards other ports in the Mediterranean.
Once used as a customs area, after the Old Port was restructured it was turned into a museum devoted to the painter and set designer Emanuele Luzzati, housing temporary exhibitions by the Genoese artist and by leading contemporary illustrators. The Museum is closed for works since May 2018.
For information on prices and schedules, please visit the organisation's website.