Forte Begato

Fortified with angular bastions around a central courtyard and supported by a broad embankment, this mighty fort complex was built between 1818 and 1831 by the Savoy Corps of Engineers. It was able to house 840 soldiers and 41,000 kilos of ammunition in its gunpowder magazine; it also had 1500 square meters of storehouses.

Renovation was carried out between the late 20th century and the early 21st century, subsidised by the European Union.