Diamante Fort

This is one of the most characteristic forts of Genoa's entire network of defensive walls.

It was built in 1758 right on the summit of Monte Diamante, at about 667 metres above sea level. Its position overlooking the Polcevera and Bisagno valleys and its distance from the city centre made this fort the city's first defensive bastion against raids from the North.