Botanical Garden Clelia Durazzo Grimaldi
The Botanical Garden of Marchioness Durazzo is located within the beautiful Park of Villa Durazzo Pallavicini. It was created in 1794 by will of the Marchioness herself, regarded as one of the greatest European botanists of her time. Upon her death, both the villa and the gardens were inherited by her nephew, Ignazio Pallavicini, who built the splendid Romantic Park that today is the hallmark of the Pegli estate.
The botanical garden's current layout, inaugurated in 2004, features an exhibition area of approximately 4500 square metres, and some 1500 different species are grown there. It has four large greenhouses: one dedicated to palms and cultivated tropical plants (cocoa, banana, pineapple, tobacco, papaya), one to aquatic plants, a third reserved for ferns, and a fourth - named the "train" greenhouse due to its shape - that is able to host a large variety of succulents, carnivorous plants and orchids.
The Botanical Garden is closed for restoration.